THE PRO-LIFE POSITION
1. Intentionally killing an innocent human being is wrong.
2. Induced abortion is the intentional killing of an innocent human being.
3. Therefore, abortion is wrong.
10 Arguments Against Abortion
(taken from “Abortion Arguments: 10 Arguments For Abortion, 10 Arguments Against Abortion” by Linda Lowen, Womensissues.about.com)
- Since life begins at conception, abortion is akin to murder as it is the act of taking human life. Abortion is in direct defiance of the commonly accepted idea of the sanctity of human life
- No civilized society permits one human to intentionally harm or take the life of another human without punishment, and abortion is no different.
- Adoption is a viable alternative to abortion and accomplishes the same result. And with 1.5 million American families wanting to adopt a child, there is no such thing as an unwanted child.
- An abortion can result in medical complications later in life; the risk of ectopic pregnancies doubles, and the chance of a miscarriage and pelvic inflammatory also increases.
- In the instance of rape and incest, proper medical care can ensure that a woman will not get pregnant. Abortion punishes the unborn child who committed no crime; instead, it is the perpetrator who should be punished.
- Abortion should not be used as another form of contraception.
- For women who demand complete control of their body, control should include preventing the risk of unwanted pregnancy through the responsible use of contraception or, if that is not possible, through abstinence.
- Many Americans who pay taxes are opposed to abortion, therefore it’s morally wrong to use tax dollars to fund abortion.
- Those who choose abortions are often minors or young women with insufficient life experience to understand fully what they are doing. Many have lifelong regrets afterwards.
- Abortion frequently causes intense psychological pain and stress.